ANXIETY & PANIC ATTACKS
What is anxiety?
Feeling anxious about change in your life is normal, but it can be very unpleasant. For some people it is occasional and mild enough that it can even motivate you in some fashion. However, if you experience intense or uncontrollable anxiety that disrupts your daily life or prevents you from performing even the simplest of tasks, you may be a candidate for some form of treatment. According to the American Psychiatric Association, women are more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety than men. Additionally, people with high stress, childhood trauma or a family history of mental health disorders may be more likely to develop an Anxiety Disorder.
Anxiety Disorder can stop you doing things you enjoy, but with our Ketamine Therapy treatments, we can provide you an option to help get you back to your normal life.
There are different types of anxiety disorders:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) – Characterized by consistent worry, anxiety, and tension, even if there is nothing to bring it on.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – Characterized by recurrent intrusive thoughts (known as obsessions) and repetitive behaviors (known as compulsions). These compulsions, sometimes called rituals, are performed in an attempt to prevent these obsessive thoughts or make them subside.
- Panic Disorder – Characterized by repeated episodes of intense fear that bring on physical symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, dizziness or abdominal distress.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Brought on after experiencing or witnessing a life-threatening or traumatic event.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia): Characterized by intense anxiety and self-consciousness in everyday social situations. It may be limited to only public speaking, but some people may experience symptoms whenever they are around other people.
- Agoraphobia: Characterized by avoidance of places or situations that trigger feelings of anxiety or panic.
Ketamine is a promising innovation in the field of anxiety treatment. Some doctors are calling it the biggest breakthrough in depression and anxiety treatment in decades. Ketamine infusion therapy has been shown to improve the symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks in up to 70% of patients after even a single treatment. One benefit to treating anxiety disorders with ketamine is its ability to sometimes bring relief to symptoms within minutes or hours, rather than the weeks or months required by most anxiety medications. The calming effect of ketamine has been shown to positively affect patients with mental illnesses. Even after the drug has left the patient’s system, the antidepressant and anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects continue to boost their mood. Infusions are given by trained professionals in a controlled setting. After meeting with our doctors to discuss your symptoms and previous treatments, you can begin your treatment which lasts 40 to 50 minutes. During that time, you will be monitored and your dose will be adjusted as needed. Ketamine takes effect quickly, and most patients report a marked improvement within 24 hours. Our doctor will create a treatment plan depending on your reactions and the efficacy of the first few sessions. At Loop Medical Center we are ready to help you get your old life back.